Donnerstag, 10. Mai 2007

A Year in the Merde


I have completely forgotten to tell you something about my second book which is called "A Year in the Merde". It is written by Stephen Clarke. I have read about 70 pages of the book now and I am really impressed by it. In this chapters Paul West describes his first impressions of France and his fellow workers. He decided to spent a year in France and is job is it to establish Tea Rooms in France for his company. At the beginning everything is quite difficult for him as most of his co-workers speak only their mother tongue, and if they speak English he could hardly understand them, becauese it sounds more like Chinese or Hungarian.

Paul West tries to learn French on his own by a CD Rom. After some difficulties with waiters, secretaries, and so on, he gets used to his new life in France and tries to make the best out of it.


It is a very interesting and entertaining novel and I really like to read it. It is fascinating, in a bad way, to see how he has to struggle when it comes to a conversation. I think it is strange that most of the French people are not able to converse in English, although it is a world language. In my view the author gives us a good inside into the French world and describes everything in a very entertaining and funny style. I just like this book

Keine Kommentare: